Friday, January 11, 2013

Weighing Your Portions, the Story of a Kitchen Scale.

I am not only trying to loose weight and get back to my prom weight of 199lbs, but I also want to make a complete lifestyle change. My health isn't what it used to be and that is sad to say at the young age of 22. It is time for me to take action and invest in lifestyle changes. One thing I did to enhance this change is purchasing a kitchen scale. This is by far one of the best decisions I have made in a while! I love it. I bought this great little item because I realized... I don't really know what the FUCK a 5oz. piece of meat looks like and honestly neither do you! I don't know what 85g. of carrots look like and I sure as HELL do not know what 30g. of almonds look like. Be honest with yourself, no one knows that this shit looks like and let me tell you something, it is NOT as much as you thought. 

I have been so into my kitchen scale lately that I am weighing everything! It makes planning my meals super easy and all of my portions are finally correct. I have to admit the first day I starting weighing all of my food was a little discouraging because the portions were so small but I have a few tips to keep your spirits up! 

1. Make all of your meals in advance.
This will help you cut out snacking and your portions will not seem as small because you prepackaged them the day before. I like to think I tricked myself  because I am no longer thinking about the small portions I made. Instead I look at the meal I made the day before and it looks delicious! 

2. DO NOT make food while you are hungry
This goes along with making your meals in advance. My dad says and I believe this to be true, if you cook a meal while you are starving you will end up snacking the whole time you are cooking. By the time your meal is ready to eat you have practically consumed a whole meal while cooking. Snacking on the meals ingredients or rummaging through the fridge is deadly. One bite of something is fine but one bite of eleven different things is where that extra meal starts to take form! Be careful! Making your meals after you eat dinner each night is a great technique. You can't say you are hungry and your portions don't look as small because you are focusing on other things. Portions always look small when your stomach is telling you to feed it! 

I am a foody, I usually go to bed thinking about what I am going to eat for breakfast. I do not think this will ever go away no matter how thin or healthy I am but the kitchen scale has helped me fetishize food in a different way. Yes I said fetishized. I love good tasting, wholesome food. I like to think about it, eat it and make it. The only thing different is now instead of thinking about homemade meatloaf with mash potatoes, I am thinking about 5oz. of poached balsamic chicken with 1/3 of a baked yam and crunchy asparagus. I don't have to completely change the way I think about food, I just need to alter the ingredients and ways I am eating the food.  You can do this too! Take control of your life and be happy with smaller portions that you have created yourself. The kitchen scale is the new bathroom scale! 





1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you/jealous of you for still being motivated! I wish I could be as on task about my health as you :)
    Go gurl :)

    ReplyDelete